Thursday 17 May 2012

Impression

I've been thinking for a while about this, and i think now i may have been able to pin point one of the reasons why my social endeavours aren't always as great as i hope. Ya see, I think my problem is that whatever i do, just doesn't seem to exactly make a lasting impression. In fact, probably the reverse is actually happening. Mixed with my inability to properly start conversation, I think Im just turning myself into a forgetable character.

Instead of leaving an impression, Im actually more or less removing an impression. That sounds kind of weird, but think about it like this:

Say for instance impressions that people make on other people, were actually physically visible "impressions" on people. Like a bump or something. And so, say i was to not do anything that was perceived impressionable for an extended period of time, then eventually that initial bump would just pop back out and become flat. I suppose that's why first impressions are always considered so important, cause its the first instance where you either make a crater of an impact on someone, or something so small you'd be hard pressed to remember the bump was there the next day.

So now i suppose the question is what should i do to be more, well, lasting i guess the right word is. To be honest Im not exactly too sure.. So far it seems i haven't been able to really make an impact. So whatever Im doing now i guess is somewhat pointless.

What i really need to do is just get to the root of the problem and just get better at conversation i guess. Actually say things to people that are worth remembering. That's the tricky part...

The word impression also seems to derive from the word impress. Or the other way around, not too sure. But anyway, if the two are linked then the most obvious thing to do to make good impressions is to achieve feats that are impressive. The only problem with that is all that extra effort in coming up with something impressive to say or do every time i want to talk to someone who i want to remember me.

Then there's also that fine line between being seen as "impressive" and then being seen as a "show off". And if anything, that's a situation I'd rather not fall into. Hmmm. So much to think about.

Haha i find it funny though. Why should i even care if you remember me or not? If you dont then i guess either Im just too boring or you just genuinely dont care. So then i shouldn't worry about that. But what if its just cause Im too quiet and shy? Then i'd always have to live with the "what ifs?". So that's why i care i guess. I dont wanna live in speculation.

So there we have it! Now that I've addressed this problem, lets see if I'll actually fix it. At least I'll be able to say i tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment