Saturday 26 January 2013

Hang it up now or never.

I swear, these bugs are getting on my nerve.

They're purple with jagged green lines down their thorax. They like to fly around my face and into my ears. I've tried to leave my room, but they bite me every time I get close to the door. So I'm stuck in here with nothing but a computer and an entire recording set and my homework and some handheld video games and a potato. No one can help me because no one can hear me. The insects swing their wings so loud it's deafening. Sometimes the vibrations make me feel delirious, and I forget who I am.

Who am I?
Who are you?
Fuck you.
Fuck me?
Well, if you insist.
Holy shit, you actually took me seriously? Hah! What a chump.
I'm not a chump.
That's exactly what a fucking chump would say.
Where exactly are you going with this? Because I don't really like this vibe you're giving me.
Oh shut up.
Okay.


...


Silence filled the air as I stared at myself. It looked like I won the argument. But then again I made some pretty good counter-arguments. All that was left behind from the wreckage of the conversation were glazed over eyes and a smirk that gave off a hint of unhappiness, behind a mask of nothing. The air was filled with a pungent, yet somehow familiar scent. Kind of like sweat mixed with two day old deodorant remnants.

There's another bug on my face. It crawled into the space between my right eye and my eyelid. This particular bug was quite small. What was interesting was that I could actually see it for a while in front of everything. It took up my vision. Encapsulated my world. Then I came back into the picture.

What are you looking at?
You, I guess.
How many fingers am I holding up?
Three. No, no, wait, four.
Good. Your eyes seem to be working again. You had me worried for a minute there.
Nice to know someone cares.
Hey, you know me, I'll be there.
You sure will. If there's someone I can depend on, it'll be you.
You know it, man. Anytime, anywhere.
I think I should go to bed now, if you don't mind me cutting this short.
No problem, I'll just be on my way too. You know it's only 5:09 though, right?
Yeah, I know. But I've just been so tired lately.
Don't let the bed bugs bite.
I'll try. But they're kind of everywhere.
When you wake up tomorrow, everything will be better. I promise.
Hah, fat chance.

That's when I turned off the lights and slipped on the bathroom floor. Blood pooled in the corner, as it almost gracefully sunk down the drain. The bug that went up my eye came out of my arse five days later. It was surprisingly clean.

1 comment: