Thursday 10 January 2013

Run

So I just checked my facebook's "General Account Settings", and I noticed for the first time what the link to my wall is. It's your standard affair, facebook dot com slash my name, but then, I noticed a number next to it. It says 5220. Now, I can only assume that that means I am the 5220th Bryce Johnson to have made a facebook account. It got me wondering what all the other people with my name are like. But then I quickly grew bored of that idea and through it away in the bin in my bathroom. There's a lot of people in this world, and according to facebook, I know 266. Now of course that's a lie. But it's never really bothered me that much until today. The meaning of the word "friend" has diminished a lot according to this video by Vsauce I watched just now. And to be honest, that kind of disturbs me. I don't like the feeling of pretending to know even half the people on that list. I don't know them and they don't know me, and I'm fine with that. But what I'm not fine with is masquerading with it, being updated every time someone who I've forgotten about three years ago does some minuscule thing. I think what really bothers me though is that I've got real friends that I do care about, and they're in that same list as everyone else, and I don't think they deserve that, since they mean way more. It's kind of insulting to them really. And yeah, that's totally my fault (and Joe's) for accepting the people in the first place, but I'm not going to trawl through it picking and choosing who I want to stay in contact with. If we're real friends, we'll have other means to communicate besides facebook, so who cares? So screw facebook and social networking that promotes creating fake connections with strangers. I'm out.

2 comments: