Monday 28 January 2013

Part One: Cheese

Her smile cut through me like a serrated knife.

From my brain to my gall bladder, I was a bloody mess. I stumbled back carelessly as I fell to my knees from the shock. She just stood there, smiling.

"What do you want from me?" I manage to squeeze out, before coughing more blood. She just continued to smile. It was amusing to her that my internal organs were collapsing. I was folding in on myself, paralyzed with the fear of looking up at her face again. But I did it anyway. I peered up, slowly, cautiously, expecting the worse.

But she was gone. An empty park bench was all that remained. So I crawled back onto the seat, left with my thoughts and the sound of a magpie attacking a young boy behind me. The park always seemed so beautiful in the morning. That's why I came out here in the first place; to watch the sun rise. That crispy golden ball in the sky, creeping up the horizon like a blazing round dinner plate. Magical. Simply magical.

Naturally, a few hours passed in a matter of seconds. That was when I began to wonder where Mary went. I had to be careful, because I don't know whether or not I'd be able to handle seeing her face again. She's been popping in and out for a while now. I would say five months. Maybe six. Never seen her before in my entire life before then. I don't even know her real name. I just call her Mary because I think it suits her eyes. Not that I've actually been able to see her eyes for more than a few seconds before completely collapsing. I swear, I'm not like that with girls normally. But Mary's different. I've never even heard her say a word. Not one. But if just looking at her makes me feel like my small intestine is being jammed inside my large one, then I probably don't want to find out what hearing her is like.

Caught up in my own thoughts, I didn't notice a feminine figure sit beside me. I casually looked to my right, surveying the now mid-day park. We locked eyes.

Shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment